History & Philosophy
The Hotel Schützen has a long history and we have compiled the key data to give you an idea of the development of this family business:
- 1240: the name “Lauterbrunnen” first appears in history books (Latin: in claro fonte).
- 1671: construction of today’s richly traditional building in typical chalet style. It is repeatedly remodelled and renovated with loving attention to detail.
- To 1928: the inn is known as the “Gasthof zum Lauener”. After the death of owner Matthäus Lauener, it is sold and renamed the “Gasthof zum Schützen”.
- 1931: start of the surge of tourism in the region. The first Alpine Ski World Championship is held in Mürren.
- 1965: Paul & Alice von Allmen buy the inn. The Hotel-Restaurant Schützen develops into a rustic 3-star family business without losing any of its original homely character.
- 2005: the two sons, Andreas and Urs von Allmen, buy the hotel business from their parents.
- 2008: Urs sells his share of the business to Andreas.
- From 1.12.2008: the hotel business is run by the family of Andreas von Allmen-Schärer and their team and the restaurant is run by Gerhard Liechti and his managers Milorad Kascelan and Daniel Boetschi.
So for two generations, (the third is already here) the Schützen has been run, cherished, converted and modernized by the von Allmen family without losing any of its charming character. The family is committed to meeting guest requirements and wishes and providing an enjoyable stay full of memorable moments. It has thus been able to build up a long list of regular guests, to whom we must here express a sincere “Thank you” on behalf of the von Allmen family!